POSITION: Finance and Operations Manager
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
HOURS: Full-time or part-time schedule, with evenings and weekends as required
SALARY: Commensurate with experience
TO APPLY: Please (1) fill out an application, and (2) send your cover letter, resume, and relevant writing sample to email@example.com and write Finance and Operations Manager in the subject line. Deadline is January 2, open until filled.
The Finance and Operations Manager oversees the operational and transactional finance functions of 826 Valencia. The Finance and Operations Managers manages all accounting and banking functions for both the nonprofit and retail aspects of the organization, and works closely with the Executive Director and key staff to generate and track budgets both for internal purposes and outside funders. In addition, the Finance and Operations Manager performs administrative duties including management of two facilities and human resources.
826 Valencia is a highly collaborative, bustling work environment full of passionate professionals who strive to create programs that transform our students’ relationships to writing, and to build an inclusive community that meets the needs and reflects the diverse backgrounds of our students. If you care about amplifying young peoples’ voices and cultivating wonder as part of the writing process, we’d love to have you as part of the team.
- Manage the overall accounting and bookkeeping for the organization including accounts payable and receivable, inventory and capital assets, banking, and payroll functions
- Work closely with the Development Director to handle revenue for all development initiatives, including but not limited to:
- Creating and monitoring all grant budgets and grant-related financial information
- Processing and tracking all forms of donations; tracking use of restricted funds; producing revenue reports
- Interface with CPA firm to coordinate annual financial audits and oversee all 990 reports
- Facilitate the annual budget process
- File monthly sales tax returns with state
- Provide monthly financial reporting and analysis of financial statements, including statement of activities, fund balance, and sources/uses of funds, to the Executive Director and, as requested, to the Board of Directors
- Provide administrative assistance, including oversight of facility vendors and contracts
- Manage key human resource functions including payroll administration, health care, insurance, staff hour allocations, etc.
- Update relevant sections of the 826 Valencia employee materials and develop improved on-boarding systems
- Manage facilities maintenance for two centers (Mission and Tenderloin), including technology maintenance
- Other related activities to support the work of 826 Valencia on an as-needed basis
- Attend all staff meetings, annual National Conference and other professional development
- Meet all deadlines
- Participate as part of the organization’s leadership team in the development and management of the strategic direction for the 826 Valencia organization, and integrate the team’s work to support the organizational vision and mission
- All other duties as assigned by the Executive Director
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree in business or accounting related field, MA preferred
- A minimum of five years of experience with arts/education administration and/or nonprofit management, including book keeping, financial reporting, payroll, etc.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Clear knowledge of fiscal policies specific to 501c3 non-profit organizations, including fund accounting
- Advanced knowledge of and demonstrated experience with Microsoft Office, Microsoft Excel, and QuickBooks for non-profits
- Stellar organizational and project management skills; detail-oriented; able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Responsible, self-motivated, task-oriented and resourceful, with the patience, stamina, and flexibility to work in an active environment with constant interruption
- Strong writing, editing, and communication skills
- Commitment to 826 Valencia’s mission and values
- Ability to engage a diverse group of stakeholders and community members
- Knowledge of Paychex, Zenefits, Salesforce, DCYF reporting